“I Heart Characters! is a weekly meme hosted by Dani @ Perspective of a Writer to showcase our book blogger love for characters! Each week she’ll supply a topic and you’ll supply the character. Post on whatever day suits you, about characters from whatever media you love (books, movies, K-dramas, television, manga, anime, webtoons, whatever!) and link up on Thursday so YOU and others can blog hop and share the character love. ♡”
Hello Thursday! Dani you really know how to come up with some great topics! This week’s topic is… God or Goddess BFF (Mythological character you want as a friend).
Ok, I’m sorry but I’m definitely bringing out my Disney again for this topic…
Ok, hear me out. If you’ve seen Moana, Maui comes off kind of… hmmm how do I put this… rude. Yep. Rude, a jerk, full of himself.
But! According to Polynesian mythology these are some of the things Maui was “responsible for” before he was even mentioned by Disney…
He helped humans create fire.
- After realizing fire has been lost on earth, he goes in search of the fire goddess Mahuika and learns how to obtain fire. He passes this information on to humans and then they have fire.
He raised the sky so humans would be able to stand up.
- According to myths, the sky was originally so low humans couldn’t stand up. So Maui used his strength to push the sky as high as the trees, then higher to the mountains and then beyond the clouds.
He lasso’d the sun so humans would have longer days.
- There are different versions of this myth but one includes Maui using his sister’s hair to lasso the sun and hold it in the sky to punish the sun for leaving too soon. The sun then agreed to stay longer and thus gave humans longer days.
He created the islands of Hawaii.
- Maui and his brothers went out fishing one day. He threw his hook into the ocean and told his brothers to paddle as fast as they could because he had caught a very large fish. However, it turned out to be the islands of Hawaii and not a giant fish. Well, that’s how the myth goes.
Ok. So I may have given a brief mythology lesson (based on some very quick research btw) but here are my reasons why he would be a great person to keep around…
- He can shapeshift into any living thing.
- He made the days longer. And I am a big fan of the sun and longer days during the summer.
- He created the islands of Hawaii. Now I’ve never been but it’s on my bucket list and it looks beautiful!
- I’m also a fan of fire. I mean fireplaces in the winter. Smores in the summer.
Plus, if I’m being honest with myself… This song was pretty fantastic!
And he actually turns out to be a nice guy at the end because, you know, it’s a Disney movie. Happy ending 🙂